Historical Square Ekaterinburg
The dam is the oldest structure in the center of Yekaterinburg on the river Iset in the History Park.
This is a ‘classical’ industrial dam (209 m long, 42.6 m wide and 6.9 m high) with a wide spillway in its center for releasing excess water. The side spillways were used to direct water onto the overshot waterwheels (such as used in water mills) driving the plant’s mechanisms.
The construction of the dam was begun in 1721 by Vasily Tatishchev, an outstanding Russian historian, geographer and Peter the Great’s companion.
Church on Blood in Honor of All Saints Resplendent in the Russian Land (Church on the Blood)
Opposite the Voznesenskaya (Ascension) Hill, there was the house of engineer Ipatiev, where the family of the last Russian Tsar Nicholas II and members of his household were kept for 78 days. In the early hours of July 17, 1918, they were executed by shooting in the basement of this house. On its site, a church was built to commemorate the murder of the last Russian emperor and his family. This is one of the largest churches in Yekaterinburg and a place of pilgrimage for Christians from across Russia. Its Upper Cathedral was consecrated in the name of All Saints Resplendent in the Russian Land; and the Lower Cathedral in the name of the Saint Royal Passion-Bearers. The basement floor houses a memorial room.
The “Vysotsky” Viewing Point
The open-air viewing deck is located on the 52nd floor of the “Vysotsky” Business Center, 186 meters above the ground. It opens up a truly fantastic panorama of Yekaterinburg. Visitors can see as far as to 25 km and view the historical center of Yekaterinburg, the Verkh-Isetsky upstream lake, the Uktus Mountains, etc.
All visitors of the viewing deck are provided with an audio guide to help get acquainted with the city independently by hearing an exciting story in Russian, English, German or Chinese, and find out interesting facts about the history of the city, its heritage buildings, parks and other landmarks
The Urals - the border of two parts of the world, a place where you can feel in the center of the largest continent. In the XVIII century. Yekaterinburg - Vasily Tatishchev - put forward a hypothesis, according to which the border is the ridge of the Ural Mountains. The very first obelisk "Europe-Asia" was installed in 1837 near the mountain Berezovaya. In 2008, a new obelisk was installed - a 30-meter pillar of red granite with an eagle at the top.
One of the main objects of the center is the Boris Yeltsin Museum, dedicated to the modern political history of Russia and the personality of the first president of Russia. The museum opened on November 25, 2015. A team of Russian archivists, historians, journalists, and specialists in multimedia content worked on the exposition.
The exhibition consists of nine rooms on the principle of "7 days", where every day is associated with a turning point in the history of the country. It is opened by "Labyrinth" - a hall dedicated to the history of the Yeltsin family against the backdrop of the turbulent events of the 20th century. The following is a set of halls under the general title “Seven days that changed Russia” - they tell about the first president of Russia and his era. The culmination of the exhibition is the Hall of Freedom - a platform for an open discussion about civil rights and freedoms in the new Russia.
In addition to the museum in the Yeltsin Center, you can also visit an art gallery, watch a documentary film, buy books, drink coffee, i.e. spend here all day with the whole family. Lectures, concerts, exhibitions, festivals and various social events are regularly held at the centers.
The "Red Line of Ekaterinburg" walking tourist route.
Ekaterinburg has a unique tourist walking route, the Red Line, that includes 35 places of interest: monuments, merchants' estates, streets and squares. All places of interest are connected by a red marking on the asphalt and depict the history of the city's development through architectural monuments and modern buildings. The route is a closed loop with a total length of 6.5 km and duration of 2.5 hours, starting from the Tatishchev and de Gennin monument. Among the sites along the route, there are legendary mansions and interesting museums, creative monuments and lively streets, the oldest building in Ekaterinburg and kilometer zero, which indicates the distance from the state capital.http://www.ekbredline.ru
Web-site is in Russian, audio-guide after beginning the excursion is available in English